Are you an intending/current teacher wondering how to register with Teachers Registration Council Nigeria (TRCN)? Here's how.
First off, what is the TRCN and why do you need to know how to register with Teachers Registration Council Nigeria?
Teachers Registration Council Nigeria (TRCN) is an agency of the Federal Ministry of Education, established with the major mandate of regulation and control of the Teaching Profession at all levels of the Nigerian Education System, both in the public and private sectors.
Functions of TRCN
- Registration and licensing of qualified teachers.
- Accreditation, monitoring and supervision of the courses and programmes of teacher training institutions in Nigeria to ensure that they meet national and international standards. The institutions include the Colleges of Education, Faculties and Institutes of Education in Nigerian universities, Schools of Education in the Polytechnics, and the National Teachers Institute.
- Organisation of Internship Schemes and induction programmes for fresh Education graduates to equip them with the necessary professional skills before licensing them for full professional practice.
- Conduct of professional examinations and interviews to determine teachers that are suitable for registration.
- Establishment of national minimum standards for and execution of Mandatory Continuing Professional Development (MCPD) to guarantee that teachers keep abreast of developments in the theory and practice of the profession.
- Organisation of Annual Conference of Registered Teachers (which is the first of its kind in Nigeria) intended to unite all teachers irrespective of social class or the level of education system to which they belong.
- Publication of a register of qualified and licensed teachers in Nigeria in hard copies and available through the World Wide Web.
- Enforcement of professional ethics among teachers using the Teachers Investigating Panel (TIP) and the Teachers Tribunal. 4
- Prosecution in the law court of unqualified persons performing the job of teachers in contravention of the TRCN Act section 17(2).
- Acting as the voice of the voiceless teachers and continuously initiating/driving public policies and practices that could reposition the teaching profession in Nigeria as first among equals.
How to register with Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria
Procedure for Registration:
- Fill out and Generate RRR (remita retrieval reference) number HERE.
- Take the RRR number to any of the banks and fill the teller as instructed below and make payment.
- Fill the deposit slip and ensure you provide the following information:
Account Name: Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria
Depositor’s name: (as the case may be)
Purpose of payment:(Please chose correctly from the service type/purpose)
- *Please note that there is no need to provide an account number. Inform the bank staff processing the transaction that the payment is to be made through Remita.
- Visit any of TRCN Office close to you with your teller/invoice and you will be issued a cash collection receipt to enable you process your registration.
Also published on Medium.